#StopCopCity: Organizers DELAYED THE VOTE until Sept. 7! Tell City Council to Vote NO on Cop City!
Call during the times below to leave public comment for City Council!
- City Council Meeting Tuesday September 7. Leave public comment Mon. Sept. 6 4-7 PM @ 404-330-6001!
Tell Atlanta City Council to vote NO on the ordinance to bulldoze 381 acres of public forest so the Atlanta Police Foundation can build an enormous cop training facility. Call/email the Mayor and City Council (particularly Matt Westmoreland, Jennifer Ide, Amir Farokhi, Natalyn Archibong, Andrea Boone, and Dustin Hillis) and let them know that an $80.6 million cop academy is not what we need to keep our communities safe! *Carla Smith and Antonio Brown are confirmed NO votes
Below are some optional talking points for your message to City Council. Feel free to write your own script and talking points—the more personalized you can make your message, the better!
- My name is _____ and I am a resident and voter in Atlanta. I live in City Council district ______.
- I oppose the proposal by Joyce Sheperd to lease of this public land to the privately owned, corporate-funded Atlanta Police Foundation. This land should be used by the residents of surrounding neighborhoods in Dekalb county, not cops!
- After a year of cops brutalizing protesters standing up for racial justice and against police violence, and the death of Rayshard Brooks, it’s insulting that the city not only voted to increase the police budget by 6%, but now intends to invest further resources and space towards policing and surveillance through this proposed facility.
- Cops and cop academies do not keep people safe! This training facility will be used to train cops to better use violent repression tactics against Atlanta civilians, weapons and explosives testing, and dangerous shooting ranges.
- It’s time that the Mayor and City Council address the needs of real working class people living in Atlanta. No more bending over backwards to please corporations and developers. The City must address poverty, systemic inequality, food desserts, public transportation, lack of affordable housing and aid to our homeless communities!
- This proposal by Joyce Sheperd lacks a democratic process. The surrounding residents in Dekalb county were not consulted prior to this proposal to lease the land. City Council has a responsibility to seek community input when making decisions (including renters renters and low-income community members, NOT just homeowners and the business community!)
- The fact that this forest used to be a prison farm underscores the connection between the legacy of slavery to modern day policing.
- City-wide elections take place this November, and voters are paying close attention to your vote on the cop academy, and issues related to policing and incarceration. We are prepared to vote you out!
To call individual Council Members outside of the public comment period, use the following contact info:
Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms email@example.com • (404) 330-6054 Council President • Felicia Moore firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6052 At-Large 1 • Michael J Bond email@example.com • (404) 330-6770 At-Large 2 • Matt Westmoreland* firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6302 At-Large 3 • Andre Dickens email@example.com • (404) 330-6041 District 1 • Carla Smith firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 739-4855 District 2 • Amir Farokhi* email@example.com • (404) 330-6038 District 3 • Antonio Brown firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6046 District 4 • Cleta Winslow email@example.com • (404) 330-6047 District 5 • Natalyn Archibong* firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6048 District 6 • Jennifer N. Ide* email@example.com • (404) 330-6049 District 7 • Howard Shook firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6050 District 8 • J. P. Matzigkeit email@example.com • (404) 330-6051 District 9 • Dustin Hillis* firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6044 District 10 • Andrea Boone* email@example.com • (404) 330-6055 District 11 • Marci C. Overstreet firstname.lastname@example.org • (404) 330-6054 District 12 • Joyce Sheperd email@example.com • (404) 330-6053